Tuesday, October 17, 2017

What Do You Buy?

Earlier this summer, I hauled myself off to a self-funded writing retreat in Thunder Bay, ON, Canada. I gave myself a week to restart old writing habits with the hope of knocking out at least 1,000 words a day and editing 50 pages of any of 3-4 books I’ve had in the works for the last couple of decades. The good news is that those goals were really easily met. The bad news is that I have apparently lost interest in my own words. I came home a couple of days early, slightly discouraged but oddly relieved. After a lifetime of telling myself “you should write books if you want to call yourself a writer,” I am done with that mission.

Part of my disillusionment with the craft and discipline of writing is personal and part is financial. In the last couple of years, I’ve been paring down the things I do to see if there is any passion left in me at 70-years of age. I have been working for money, billing customers and putting in “day job” hours, for 55-plus years. With that motivation removed, it’s hard to remember what I like to do because I’ve spent 90% of my life doing what needed to be done to turn a buck. Even with that background, if I believe that nobody will value my work with a few dollars investment I can’t convince myself the work is worth doing.

Looking at my own unwillingness to part with money for the art I’ve spent much of my life creating—fiction and non-fiction, music, audio electronics—I have to suspect most other consumers feel the same. For example, for 50 years I’ve hauled a fairly substantial library with me from one end of the country to the middle and back, several times. When we moved to Red Wing, 90% of that library was either sold or donated. Practically, the only books I’ve kept have been autographed copies of work that had special meaning to me. A friend owns a used book store and is always trying to convince me to buy something. I just don’t feel the need. My local library has access to anything I want to explore, digitally or on paper, and after I’m done reading a book I’m generally done with it. If I want to read it again, I’ll ask the library to find it for me. My preference is eBooks and I don’t even keep the few eBooks I buy.

IMG_8864[1]The same goes for music. While I have a fairly substantial CD collection, I gave away almost half of what I once owned along with the books. Worse, I almost never listen to the CDs I own, so their position in our home is precarious. I’m mostly happy with Pandora and ripping my CD collection to MP3’s that I listen to while I work in the basement or garage. I’m even happy with that sound source from my ancient SanDisk MP3 player and in-ear monitors when I’m bicycling or walking for exercise. Blasphemy, right? When I want to really explore something new, I order it from my library, listen to it, and give it back. I am totally uninvested in modern music, although I like a lot of it. I just don’t care enough to make it part of my life.

I have never had much of a video collection, but today we might be able to count a dozen movies we still own. Most of those were review copies and a couple are, like our books, signed by the artists involved. Again, I can get all of the movies I want to see through our library.

My wife is a visual artist; a painter and sculptor. We have a house full of her artwork. She is no longer particularly interested in selling her work and while we enjoy the work of many artists, neither of us is interested in acquiring more art for our home. We often prowl art galleries and festivals, but rarely buy anything other than food.

I barely remember the impulse to subsidize artists I respect and enjoy, because the impulse to manage our limited and non-renewable resources rules out that sort of philanthropy. In many ways, “we’ve done enough” comforts us when a twinge of guilt rears its head. So, our lives as consumers of the work that we do ourselves have withered down to the vanishing point. I have to wonder if that is common. If not, why not?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

Sometimes thoughts just pop in a guy's head and they have to come out...

To put it very succinctly, the physical act of shopping may be the "new"
hunting and gathering.  I like to think that I'm a hunter by nature.  I grew up in the woods hunting and fishing (modern sport fishing being both a type of hunting and gathering combined) and came from a hunting and fishing family.  I still do hunt and fish, but many people obviously do not and never have. But still, I think it is possible, and maybe even well documented (I never researched this idea) that as a species we are hard wired to "hunt and gather". When we go "hunting for deals" is it possible that this physical act satisfies some innate urge to seek out things we "need"?  Then we do bag our game...a vinyl album; book; cool guitar, etc...we get to experience the physical ritual of putting our hands on it...maybe worshiping the item in a sense.

Maybe you have become like the tribal elder who no longer feels that urge, happy to take what your "tribesmen" (the librarian, your electronic devices) bring to you, rather than working to seek it out yourself. I'm guessing this could be a natural phenomenon that most of us experience after a lifetime of hunting and gathering.

I don't know...maybe I'm reaching here...

Anyway, back to work for me

T.W. Day said...

I can see that. One of the many things that has come with age is a realization and acceptance of the fact that I am a connoisseur of nothing. I literally can't either tell or be bothered with small differences in quality, once the quality is good enough for my purposes. That means I am willing to accept all sorts of substitutes in entertainment, objects, food, drink, etc. The time required to get the perfect thing isn't worth the effort.

Wirebender Audio Rants

Over the dozen years I taught audio engineering at Musictech College and McNally Smith College of Music, I accumulated a lot of material that might be useful to all sorts of budding audio techs and musicians. This site will include comments and questions about professional audio standards, practices, and equipment. I will add occasional product reviews with as many objective and irrational opinions as possible.