Monday, May 27, 2019

Snarky Puppy in St. Paul

A couple of years ago, my ”yet to see” list was down to one artist and one group: Van Morrison and Snarky Puppy. There is, literally, no other live pop music act that I’m interested in suffering for. I have seen every group I’ve wanted to see and most of them have been sonically and musically grossly disappointing. Overwhelmingly, attending a live music performance is mostly about as fun for me as being one of Dick Cheney’s captured “armed combatants.” Venues and performers alike are careless with my hearing and their sound quality. From the performances on their live recordings, I had high hopes that seeing Snarky Puppy on 5/25/2019 at the St Paul Palace Theater might be an exception to what has become a hard-and-fast rule. When the tickets went on sale, in late January, I drove 100 miles round-trip to get a pair. Through the last few months of age-related medical problems and way too many doctors’ appointments and tests, I clung to the hope that I would see something like the kind of performances Snarky Puppy puts on its DVDs. I was wrong. I knew the odds were against me, since "quality" and "live sound" rarely coexist, but I had unrealistically high hopes based on Snarky Puppy's "live" recorded existing music catalog.

It’s hard to know who to fault for the generally awful sound of this terrifically talented band in what should have been pretty easy-to-manage venue. The Palace Theater (or Snarky Puppy’s road company) does have an array system, which more often than not seems to be an identifying marker for lousy sounding shows. Unfortunately, the sound system also includes subwoofers; hardware and technology that almost no live sound doofuses know how to use half-competently. I didn’t bother to get close enough to the FOH sound doofus to look at the console, but it was (obviously) digital and I suspect it was either Avid or DiGiCo. I figured if I got close enough to evaluate the mixer I’d be tempted to strangle or knife the moron. Seriously. There were many moments in Saturday night’s concert where I considered the risk of terminating that useless human wastebasket vs. the few months or years I might have left on my odometer spent incarcerated. He was that incompetent and destructive. I have to suspect he has never listened to a Snarky Puppy CD or heard an actual non-distorted musical instrument. He is too young to have grown up listening to AM radio, but just right for the iTunes 128kBPS MP3 experience.

From the start, it was obvious that the subwoofer component of the system overwhelmed his “talent” level. The first clue to what was to come arrived quickly as the intro act—a vocalist, keyboard, sax, bass, and drums—was as grossly distorted, poorly balanced and mixed, and unintelligible as the usual First Avenue sound disaster. The bass and kick drum merged into an atonal train rumble and the bottom end of the keyboard (anything under 200Hz) was added to the constant drone of the overloaded and poorly managed sub-channel. My wife, Elvy, kept looking at me, wondering, “Is this really the band you wanted to see?” It wasn't, but the band I came to see would prove to be an even bigger disappointment. 

After a pointlessly extended intermission break between acts, Snarky Puppy came on stage. Michael League mumbled some incoherent stuff about the band and, I think, the band crew, as an introduction and the mix went downhill from there. Even reinforcing simple speech was beyond the capabilities of the FOH moron. There was never a moment where anything in the mix improved, but it did get much louder and more distorted as the night went on.

From everything I thought I knew about Snarky Puppy, I did not imagine I would need hearing protection during one of their concerts. By the 3rd tune, I was cutting pieces of my clothing to stuff into my ears. If that was Nic Hard on the board, he has passed his prime (if he had one) and is well into needing hearing aids and another less complicated and largely unskilled profession. Hard gets credit for Culcha Vulcha, one of the Grammy-nominated SP records and the only one of their CDs I've sent back to Amazon due to what I thought was a defect (intermittent gross distortion) and I now suspect was "intended." My local library's copy of Culcha Vulcha has the same distortion, so I've moved from suspicious to sad confidence. I think League even threatened that the FOH nitwit would be mixing their next CD, which is no kind of good news. 

The sound was so out of control that we were even often abused by the high-pitched squeal of microphone feedback that the FOH doofus usually made worse before he “solved” it. He clearly never heard a sound system that was loud or distorted enough for his tastes. The sub-channel flat-out rattled, it was so overloaded. I would estimate that the overall sound system regularly produced 20-30% distortion at 125-130dBSPL and often pegged at solid clipping well over 30-50%. Close to the end of the show, League mentioned that the audience could buy downloaded copies of the show we saw. I could almost be convinced to spend that money since the live show was one of the least musical experiences I have ever had in a concert venue. On a perverse and unlikely level, I would kind of like to know what I missed.

The 9 pieces of Snarky Puppy were introduced as "band leaders in their own right," which was sadly reflected in the performances, too. Instead of a coherent group intent on blending their talents into the kind of rhythmic orchestrations we hear on the early Snarky Puppy recordings, Saturday night's performance was more like the usual 90% of jazz, which is a loose collection of individuals demonstrating their technical prowess at the expense of anything resembling "music." Unlike their best recordings where "solos" often are enhancements of the theme, most of the night's solos were exactly that; solos. Sadly, most of those excursions reminded me of the mindless and boring 60's and 70's guitar hero days or what my studio partner used to call jazz; "meandering saxophones." Weirdly, in 2021, Puppy released a double-CD set of their 2019 "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" performance that sounds absolutely nothing like an actual live Snarky Puppy show, based on my experience. If this record was an attempt to build their audience, I suspect it won't work with the victims who have heard an actual Snarky Puppy show.

Elvy, an experienced visual artist, called the light show “painful.” She spent a lot of the show with her eyes closed to avoid looking at the stage. For some weird reason, a good bit of the white spots were randomly aimed into the audience, creating a blinding effect similar to the deafening effect of the awful audio mix. So, pretty much every aspect of the show that the Snarky Puppy crew touched was a fucked-up mess. I'd love to report that the band overcame this deficit with tremendous performances, but from where we sat and stood it was almost impossible to make out any detail of the music. So, much of the evening seemed like a repetitive hip-hop loop of kick drum, snare, and gurgling subwoofer distortion. Rather than a jazz band, the best SP managed that night was something more akin to 1980's Studio 54 electronica "dance music." Perfect music for a near-overdose of coke, PCP, or ecstasy. The light show was probably aimed at those customers.

As a general principle, I’m against capital punishment. However, I would regularly make an exception for FOH doofuses who ruin otherwise excellent shows. At the least, I think morons like the Snarky Puppy FOH doofus should have been smacked on the back of his empty head by each of the 3200 sold-out show victims. The beauty of either beating to death or shooting FOH morons is that, if no one volunteered to do that job because of the risk no one would be inconvenienced. Many of the best shows I have ever heard were completely managed by the band from the stage. All of the worst shows had a “professional” mangling the mix from FOH. Two constant factors in the sound quality of the shows I have seen has been the FOH tech and the band. The sound system is inconsequential. The equipment is NEVER the problem and the people using said equipment are ALWAYS responsible for the sound quality of a show. You can find examples of that fact in many of the show reviews on this website and some of my rants about live music in general.

The Palace’s “acoustic treatments” are pretty hilarious, at best. Typical of First Avenue penny-pinching mismanagement habits, there are some tiny and pointless 1” thick strips of “acoustic foam” dangling from the balcony overhang and, maybe, some absorption materials behind the side curtains on the first floor. Otherwise, it’s a big oval-shaped 1900’s theater sans chairs with absorptive padding, a concrete floor, bare walls with residual bits of 1900’s fresco and artwork clinging to the walls, and a 21st Century high-volume, low fidelity array sound system poorly placed and aimed. In other words, 1st Ave spent as little as possible to bring this venue to life and expects to get a big return on the investment since the audience “taste” for actual music is declining exponentially in the current MP3-earbud-cellphone-industrial-noise climate.

Due to my wife's mobility problems, we were kindly given ADA seats right behind the FOH console. Our purchased seats were fairly high in the balcony and the Palace has limited elevator capabilities, so that was a really generous act by one of the facility's managers. We were there early, because of her limitations, which gave me the opportunity to move around a lot early in the show. I listened to the opening act at several points in the balcony and, before and during SP's set, on the floor (mostly in the 10-20' just in front of the house console). It wasn't any better than our seats at any of those spots, but most of the areas were considerably worse: closer was painfully louder and further away was incoherently more distorted and muddier. The balcony is a giant bass resonator, which only exacerbated the low frequency problems I've described above.

Speaking of the crowd, when did drill-Sargent level yelling throughout a concert become normal? On the floor level and all around the bar, most of the “audience” were more involved in max-volume yapping at each other than the music. On the floor, the crowd noise was at least as irritating as the sound system. I do believe the excessive volume of the sound system is partly to blame, since there was no effort at reproducing dynamics, fidelity, or even decent bandwidth in the sound system, it is clear that the band wasn’t particularly concerned with the audience's musical experience. That being the case, I guess a concert is an expensive way for people to come together for a really loud conversation about the usual drivel people talk about in bars. I generally avoid live music in bars for this reason and from here out I'll be avoiding indoor live music in general. I do not need the hear about the boring lives of wealthy 20-to-40-somethings at screaming volume.

I can’t decide if I would be relieved or disappointed to learn that the sound system was not the Palace’s house system. The upside might be that it could still be possible to see a show there that didn’t suck. The downside would be that Snarky Puppy and Michael League have lost their edge and concern for their fans’ experience. For me, it’s kind of the end of the trail, regardless. Live music has become such a painful experience, physically and sonically, that I generally avoid any indoor concerts out of self-protection. My anticipation and disappointment in this show was pretty obvious. On the way home, Elvy kept asking “Are you ok?” The next morning, she even cried in sympathy, knowing better than anyone how much I had looked forward to this concert. Since were were there early, I bought a copy of SP's Immigrance CD and a shirt before the show started. I have yet to open the wrapper of the CD and the shirt ended up in the rag bag this morning. I do not need a reminder of that evening. If I had waited to the end, I wouldn't have wasted that money.

Over the years, I have seen a handful of amazing live music performances. I’m OK with that, disappointed that part of my life is over, but I have some great memories. Snarky Puppy will not be among those, though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had fun.

T.W. Day said...

I know you are being sarcastic, but it's true that I, and we, did not have a fun evening. It was one of the most disappointing, miserable nights of my musical life. I would love to rerun that ticket purchase and evening and somehow know in advance that Snarky Puppy was once a great band and is now just mailing it in. I'd still have the CD/DVDs to enjoy and could imagine that there is a band out there that gives a flying crap about their audience. Now, I know that's bullshit and I doubt I'll ever watch those DVDs again.

Anonymous said...

I attended that show and thought I was being hard on the band because so many of the reviews raved about the show, the band, and the venues sound. Your review made me feel better about myself. I found your blog through the comments you made on the Palaces google review page. Right on brother.

Anonymous said...

I found this after seeing Khruangbin there this past Friday. My friend and I kept second guessing our ears, wondering if it was just us or our house reducing ear plugs. Preposterously loud base and insane resonance issues. Such a bummer as they are one of my favorite bands ever and I felt the place just captured hardly any of their best sounds. I had to google the theater and see if any others were with me, or if it was just us/relative infrequent experience with indoor concerts. We saw them a year ago and it wasn't like this, so I think it's just that freaking place.

T.W. Day said...

The place is definitely a mess, but that is amplified (pun intended) by a sound-goober who imagines he can overpower acoustics with volume. It is a very reverberate room with almost no acoustic treatments and, as such, the Palace is only appropriate for low volume music like the kind of equipment that was used to produce sound for the movies for which this 1920s theater was intended. That would require a quiet, attentive audience, but that is less of a drawback than you might think.

Wirebender Audio Rants

Over the dozen years I taught audio engineering at Musictech College and McNally Smith College of Music, I accumulated a lot of material that might be useful to all sorts of budding audio techs and musicians. This site will include comments and questions about professional audio standards, practices, and equipment. I will add occasional product reviews with as many objective and irrational opinions as possible.